When should I schedule my newborn photo session?
Most moms book their newborn session when they are still pregnant. Please contact me at a minimum a month before baby is due. We put your due date on the calendar and we you simply email us after baby is born and we put you on the calendar for the following week. Please book in advance as schedules do fill up quickly.
When should the session take place?
Newborn sessions are best done when the baby is under 10 days old. We all love those sleepy/curled up poses and in order to get those it’s best within the first 10 days of life. I have had some babies photograph excellent at later stages, up to a month old. Preemies are typically done well after 10 days and also do great!
My baby is already born. Is it too late to schedule a newborn session?
No, I sometimes have last minute openings and we can schedule then.
Do I need to bring in props, like hats or baskets, to use during the session?
L Nicole Photography supplies all “props” necessary for the photo shoot. Please feel free to bring special blankets, hats, family heirlooms, toys, monogrammed items, or props that represent your family or child as well.
Where will my newborn session take place?
All newborn sessions take place in your home or in my studio.
How long will my newborn session last?
Newborn sessions are anywhere from two to three hours long depending on the baby. Each baby is different.
What can I do to help my session go smoothly?
The most important thing you can do is relax. Most parents are shocked that the baby pees/poops on my blankets… it happens every session so its no big deal. I always recommend keeping baby awake for an hour prior to my arrival, so they are sleepy for the session.
Do you include family photos with a newborn session?
Yes, I always aim to capture images of newborns with their parents and siblings. If you do not wish to be in the images just let me know on your questionnaire.
What should we wear?
Solid cream/black shirts work best for parents in the newborn images.
Do you photograph in both color and black and white?
Yes. I will show a couple images in your gallery in black and white.
Do you sell digital files?
Yes, you have the ability to purchase digital files a la carte or via one of our collections.
Anything I need to know for the day of my session?
- Please make sure you bring a pacifier which is extremely helpful in soothing baby as we make transitions.
- Remember warm temperature facilitates a better session. I will keep the studio warm to make sure baby is cozy during our session. However, if the session will take place at your home, please turn your heat up to 75 degrees at least 30 minutes prior to my arrival.
- Please make sure to feed your baby before your session and remember to bring a bottle or plan to nurse during the session. Most newborn sessions last 2-3 hours.
- Bring loose clothes that baby can easily be undressed in. Think “buttons”
- Loosen the baby’s diaper a little for the car ride. This will help to make sure those little red marks are not visible during the shoot
- Mom and Dad should wear black tops for pictures with baby or a white top also works well
- Lifestyle newborn photos are fun and capture the moment with baby and family. These photos are done in your home and look great on a couch or bed. Don’t forget to make the bed for these photos!